Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"Sing a Sad Story"

I left so blindly and travelled so young
through the pines and the cities I've walked
yes I left so blindly and travelled so young
but to you, sweet gal, I give no fault

don't know when I'll see you or my family again
don't know when this restlessness'll fade
'cause the line ain't so clear and the path is torn
and I can't go home this way
no I can't go home this a-way

there ain't one cent in these weary clothes
not a soul here can tell where my heart lies
my own name has become a stranger to me
and I've nothing, dear friend, to leave under the skies

now my bones are too bare and my eyes are too dark
after too many nights unsheltered from the rain
maybe it's fear, Dear Lord, or maybe it's pride
but I can't go home this way
no I can't go home this a-way

For what good it does I'll whisper a prayer
through the icy silver valleys and hills
and may it fly fast to reach you somehow
if we're lonesome enough I know it will

please don't send me no words of forgiveness
or any trinkets to hold, or verses to say
for the day I come back is as unclear as tomorrow
and I can't go home this way
no I can't go home this a-way

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I liked this. A lot. I don't know why. It was the whole like...restlessness within in the narrator. I just loved this a lot.