Thursday, December 31, 2009

Waiting for the Dawn

Remember when I stood in your yard
with the dead leaves at my feet
how I fell from your arms
and then got lost in the street

I saw your face in the window
covered in fingerprints and grime
that was left like a shadow
of the autumn that died

we saw the sun drowning
and i mocked your psalms
all those nights you found me
waiting for the dawn

you said I need a savior
so a savior was made
you thought "that ember might save her"
just left tar where my spirit caved

years ago I clawed at your door
and left scars in the wood
tried to find that answer
but I never could

it's that task of change or truth
that I always got wrong
my thunder left you bruised and
waiting for the dawn

I got a voice in my heart
but it's nothing like faith
and it's gotten so hard
to believe in what you gave

Don't know if I can cry
at the sight of the cross
can't feel your blood in mine
just this burden of loss

but I still remember the warmth of your palms
the taste of your sea
your feet on those rocks
and your arms that can't hold me
your arms that can't hold me
your arms that can't hold me
your arms that can't hold me
your arms that can't hold me
the place where I couldn't belong
still burns in my core
I'm searching for the dawn

No comments: